It’s the season to frolic around – if you’re on #summerholiday that is. For everyone else #stuckintheoffice, you’ve got to figure out how to handle your workload and the work of those frolicking at the beach.
So what can businesses do to keep running smoothly while people go away? Here are our #Top 10 tips.
- Follow the leader: Allot handover time for the person standing in, to shadow the staff who are going on holiday.
- Have a moveable feast: Give ‘covering’ staff, the chance to work flexibly or from home, so that they maintain a healthy work/life balance.
- Be on the money: Have stand-in cheque signatories to cover for absent staff who usually sign off bills, invoices or key decisions.
- Spread the word: Provide suppliers and customers with the contact details of the employee who is covering for their usual point of contact.
- Email etiquette: Remind holiday-takers to put essential info in their out-of-office messages. Ensure a trusted colleague has access to their inbox.
- Mind the milestones: Discuss any key projects and deadlines coming up, so those providing cover are in the loop.
- Hand out prizes: Set realistic goals for the staff working through the holiday season, reward them for their efforts on behalf of the business.
- Business intelligence: Update returning staff on the progress of work flow and deliverables upon their return.
- Look for feedback: Once everyone is back in the office, ask #stuckintheoffice staff for their feedback to help the company plan for the next big holiday season.
- Learning curve: If any hidden talents were uncovered during the cover period, provide the opportunity for the development of those skills within the company.
One last thing: if you want to really put these tips to the test, why not follow the #Netflix policy on holidays? Their staff can take as much time as they want, whenever they wish, as long as their work gets done and managers know where they are.